Monday, December 3, 2012

The Business of Being Born

While I got a little queasy at times, I though the Business of Being Born was very interesting and eye-opening. The most shocking statistic for me was the one about how the rate of Cesarean sections for women has increased so dramatically as of late, and how the prevalence of C-sections increases around 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. This suggests that doctors are performing them so that it will be quicker for them, with no regard for the baby or the mother.
For me, this doesn’t change my preference for a sterile, clean hospital environment with the latest technology as an environment for my child to be born into. However, it does underscore the importance of having a doctor that you can trust and that you are sure will respond to your wishes. This reminded me of the scene in Knocked Up where Katherine Heigle’s doctor is out of town, and the doctor who fills in doesn’t want to perform a natural birth as she requests.
I really appreciated how the movie was very balanced on how it presented different views of the best way to give birth. They included accounts from a variety of doctors, midwives, and other experts that all had different opinions and input on the birthing process. I also like the way the producer followed around a couple who were deciding how to have their child. This humanized all the facts and figures that they threw at you, and helps the audience to see that the people who choose alternative birthing practices aren’t crazy, uneducated hippies.

No comments:

Post a Comment